Everyone keeps busy while you are away. You can feel a very long way away and separate from the lives of your family and friends.
ideas to keep you connected with the people who are important to you might be:
- Send postcards to your mates, your parents, the footy club just to let them know you are thinking of them
- Ask your family to send you postcards of places they go to, if they go on holiday
- Encourage your spouse / partner to take some fun time for themselves a massage, going to the gym, going fishing
- Buy presents / flowers on-line, and have these delivered in time for birthdays and special dates.
For the spouse / partner at home - if you have children, think of ways to keep your partner involved with the kids, eg:
- Sending school reports so the soldier knows how the kids are progressing
- Regularly sending photos and / or childrens' drawings
- Have something that is special to the soldier when they are absent, available for the children to see and talk about